Sunday, September 18, 2011

I'm Positive I'll Kick Your Ass

I am a positive trainer I would never even consider hitting a dog unless it was life or death.  Yet yesterday I found myself saying the words; " If you try to hurt my dog again, I will hit you with this stock stick and we'll see how much it hurts".  I was never more serious in my life, and the person understood that it was not an empty threat.  Thankfully, I did not have to hit him. He did confess however at one point he thought I might.  See, positive training does work!  I was positive I would follow through and so was he!

I took Phalen to a herding camp with a fairly famous trainer that totally misrepresents himself.  He claims that he works from a relationship model with your dog and does "quiet herding".  He clearly comes from some pretty dysfunctional relationships if what I saw yesterday is what he believes is healthy.  He herds by intimidation and fear.  I understand completely that if a dog is going to kill a sheep you have to protect the sheep at all costs, I agree with that.  The rest is just horse crap!  I saw so many appalling things yesterday that it would take pages to describe.  Shock collars for getting downs, scaring a young Belgian Shepherd until he actually shut down and was cowering in the corner and everyone intimidating their dogs.  I asked Cappy about the dog's body language showing fear and he said "just ignore it". I can't believe he gets money for this and I'm more shocked that people go along with it! 

I go to many seminars and I am always amazed to see people agree with anything the presenter says.  They are sheep being led to the slaughter and go willingly.  Are you freaking kidding me?  I swear, unless Christ himself is presenting, I am going to question.  I felt like I was wearing a scarlet letter yesterday, but I didn't care.  It is my job to protect my dogs at all costs and I don't take that lightly.  I set very clear boundaries, challenged his belief system, and for the most part, he respected my wishes.  We had a couple of tense moments, but I was so clear with my boundaries, that they never got crossed except once when I physically stepped between he and my dog.  I was polite, which he was not always, but he is responsible for his behavior and I mine.  I found myself saying over and over yesterday; "He is my dog and I will do what I know is right, you have to make the same decision for your own dog".  They all looked at me like I was from mars.

Phalen did a beautiful job yesterday.  He was in fact more controlled than dogs that have been herding much longer.  He didn't bark at any dogs while on lead, and was even able to lay calmly next to me and watch other dogs herd the sheep.  I will not be taking Cappy's advice and 'beating my dog in the head with a rubber mallet every morning", yes, you read it correctly, that was actually what he said.  I will instead continuing our work on fundamentals, and helping him to be the great dog that I know he is.  We will take all of the time he needs, it is a joy to work with him and we have nothing but time.  He is MY dog and no one will ever hurt him.

Yesterday had all the earmarks of a complete disaster, but I feel pretty damn good about it.  I protected Phalen at all costs, did not cave to the enormous peer pressure, and hopefully made some people think. Even if they think I am crazy, when I see them at a herding trial and Phalen and I kick their ass, they will know exactly why.  I came away empowered, more committed to what I know in my heart to be right, and flush with the knowledge that my dog is awesome and works with me because he wants to, not because he is scared I will hurt him if he doesn't. Cappy actually told me that herding can't be taught positively, oh nothing like a challenge.  I informed him that not only will I do it, but I will send video of it to him.  Never tell me I can't do something, it only assures that I will. VIVA LA POSITIVE TRAINING!


1 comment:

  1. Magnifico!!! I love it and would have died to have been there to witness this go down! :)

    ReplyDelete