Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WE ROCK!!




That’s right I said it, Phalen and I ROCK!!!  We had an amazing day at the AWSA shows.  Not because we won big (we really didn’t) but because we were such an awesome team!!!  Both of us calm, cool and connected!  Phalen was out and about with me most of the day and while other dogs were flying off the handle, my little man was a total pro!  I really have to stop calling him Little Man, he is a man now, and he showed me that today!

He didn’t whine when I showed other dogs or was walking around with other dogs, he just sat in his kennel, looking regal and relaxed.  He walked like a gentleman, showed like the champ that he is and had everyone talking; especially the ones who had seen him go off in the past.  He showed off his great obedience skills while we were waiting to go in the ring.  And then waltzed in like he does it everyday!  I got great attention and even when another dog growled at him from behind he just looked at me.  My heart melted!

I did feel bad when a friend with a very reactive dog came to me in tears.  Her boy had even growled at the judge.  He has been reactive for a very long time, but in the WS community, they never say a dog is reactive, they say ‘Oh, boys are just boys”.  What a disservice to themselves and their dogs.  It is part of the reason that I am such a pariah in the community.  I was honest about it and no one wants to admit that a dog they bred might be reactive. More proof of the culture of shame that is part of having a reactive dog. 

I was kind, although I might have thrown in one or two passive aggressive statements, since this is the community that has given Phalen and I so much grief.  Ultimately, though, I got my shit together and offered assistance, a shoulder and some of my essential oils to assist in the moment.  I hope that she gets help for her and her dog.  I’m not sure she will, but I am praying that for the good of all, she can finally recognize his cry for help.

Phalen and I left the shows, took a well deserved nap and while we drifted off to sleep, with his huge body draped over mine, his head resting on my shoulder, both breathing in unison, it struck me that even in sleep we were still a team.  What a lovely gift he is, what a lovely unexpected, painful, joyful, gift he is to me.  I LOVE my reactive dog, and I am not one bit ashamed of him, or our journey!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Super yay!!! Such a happy read, Dee! YOU and Phalen rock! :)

    ReplyDelete